The Manual for Procurement and Supply of Quality-Assured Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Commodities is designed to assist procurement agencies and procurement specialists in establishing a quality assurance (QA) system for the procurement of maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH) products. It is the first of its kind to provide such comprehensive information on the specific quality requirements that must be met to ensure the quality, safety, and efficacy of MNCH products across the full MNCH supply chain in a country, up to the point of use. The manual also provides detailed product specifications for priority MNCH commodities.
This manual is divided into three modules:
- Module I describes general QA for procurement as per WHO’s Model Quality Assurance System (MQAS), including prequalification (selection) of pharmaceutical products and manufacturers; purchase of prequalified products; receipt and storage of purchased products; distribution of received products; and reassessment (monitoring) of pharmaceutical products and manufacturers.
- Module II sets out a pragmatic approach to assuring the quality of MNCH products that resource-limited procurement agencies may implement when assessing products for prequalification and procurement.
- Module III provides useful technical information on a subset of priority MNCH products, as identified by the United Nations Commission on Life-Saving Commodities for Women and Children (UNCoLSC), that procurement agencies can use to establish technical specifications for the product(s) to be prequalified.
The complete Manual is available for download here.
You can click on the table of contents below to download a particular section of interest.
- Introduction & Glossary
- Module I: Quality Assurance in Procurement
- Module II: Pragmatic Approach to Assure Quality of MNCH Products
- Module III: Technical Information for Life-Saving MNCH Products
- Oxytocin & Oxytocin Annex
- Misoprostol & Misoprostol Annex
- Magnesium Sulfate & Magnesium Sulfate Annex
- Gentamicin & Gentamicin Annex
- 7.1% Chlorhexidine Digluconate & 7.1% Chlorhexidine Digluconate Annex
- Amoxicillin & Amoxicillin Annex
- Oral Rehydration & Oral Rehydration Annex
- Zinc & Zinc Annex